Trend Analysis: Space Science Fiction

In part two of our feature called "Trend Analysis", Maddy and I discuss another trend that we want to see more of, or a trend that may be on the rise!


Space Science Fiction



Audrey: 

I want to see more deep space/science fiction. We've seen some dystopian themes in space a little bit recently, with books like Across the Universe by Beth Revis and For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund. However, I want some straight up Star Trek type novels. Ender's Game just made it to the big screen, so I think that might signal a rebirth of the science fiction/space age stuff. It seems like it died down in the 80s and 90s when the Cold War ended and there was less interest in space exploration. I think that riding on the coattails of dystopian, we've started to see a slight re-emergence in this deep space subgenre that I think could turn into a larger trend.














Maddy:  
Dystopian in space would be so cool because it wouldn't be like a lot of dystopian novels like we're seeing right now..although I cannot for the life of me think of more YA space novels...does The Little Prince count as YA? Lol

Audrey:  
Well, don't forget some of the TV shows or movies that are coming out right now either. The TNT show Falling Skies and the recent movie Gravity. I also came up with the books These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagen Spooner and Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan.














Maddy:  
I think it's interesting that there aren't a whole bunch of YA books like that out there (at least that I know of). Maybe with the new space missions to Mars there will be a re-emergence of the genre, but like how many kids want to be astronauts when they grow up? I think that with the disappearance of a large chunk of the space program, we've lost that sense of exploration a little bit. It's interesting that a lot of space stuff is in movies/TV, like Star Wars, Star Trek, Gravity, and that new Halle Berry TV show Extant.

Audrey: 
But we've definitely seen a re-emergence of those trends in TV and movies, so I predict that this trend will make the jump to YA novels with a greater vengeance here in the future. It's an easy transition with dystopian (for example, dystopians set in space) so I can definitely see this marketed towards a younger generation. Aliens? Spaceships? Undiscovered planets? There's all kinds of possibilities with this genre trend.



What do you guys think? Did you come up with any other YA deep space science fiction novels? Do you agree that this trend should make a comeback? Let us know in the comments section!

Comments

  1. I would love to see some YA Star Trek esque books, for sure!

    And I loved For Darkness For the Stars but I'm pretty sure there was no space in the book. I love the genetic engineering aspect though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts